3.11.2018

BACK TO MINE Vol. 9 - I Am Damo Suzuki


The latest installment of BTM was in development right around the time Mark E. Smith died. While Smith irritated to me no end as a person, his curmudgeoned tenacity to a particular style of minimalism was admirable. Many critics heaped praise on The Fall as being a truly original with a unique vision, I always felt they were an extremely clever knock off of Pere Ubu, which - for me - is where things get interesting. Most of those same critics also would have gotten that comparison backward, with a "no one really knows" set of logic (sub-logic?) and a strong but indefensible attachment to Team Brittania. The history of modern music has constantly been re-written over the past 40 or so years, much of it hostile to the very singularity of vision the Smiths, Laughners, and Thomases of the world helped forge in the first place. The bottom line: Be different, but not too different.

I fall victim to the revisionists' trap sometimes, especially in my deep love soundtracks. But as I look back over the last 30 yrs. I've committed to DJ'ing I see my own line drawn in the sand...starting with radio friendly prog rock channeled through the dividing line of Pere Ubu, who - thanks to Allen Ravenstine - neatly straddled the borders - on to the Fall and many, many other acts of a distinct timbre. You can draw line connecting the dots between all of these different interests and tastes of mine, it's the closest thing I have found to what people of faith describe as a soul. In that delineation,  I feel, sometimes,  that I am the titular Damo Suzuki from one of my favorite Smith tunes - a raving lunatic - part Diogenes disguised as annoying hipster and part fraud - all in search of an aesthetic that is as hard to define as it is to follow. In that spirit, I created a mix that tried to capture lightning in a bottle and also expose a truer sense of my musical core, which is what a good Back To Mine is supposed to do and something I felt I was getting away from in search of ephemera. Returning to my aesthetic roots felt natural and easy this time around and as such, a mix that feels less forced. Until next time... Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD
STREAM

TRACKLISTING
Dirk Powell - La Terre Tremblante
Nick Cave/Warren Ellis - The Proposition #1
Alpha Stone - Vesuvio One
John Martyn - Solid Air
David Axelrod - Holy Thursday
Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions - Sparkly
Aphex Twin - Avril 14th
Darkness Falls - Noise On The Line
Slowdive - Shine
Kito Jempere - Gas Station (Juju & Jordash Remix)
Autechre - Nine
Carly Foxx - Burns like (Winter Ghost Mix)
Fables - Walk
Fluxion - Subliminal Tone
Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene Pt. 1
Kraftwerk - Morgenspaziergang
DJ Hell - Anything Anytime (Extended Version)
John Carpenter - Main Title
Audioglider - Always & Infinite
Jori Hulkkonen - Don't Believe In Happiness
Masaya & Ripperton - Flow of Tears
City of Hungry Ghosts - Peculiar Hobbies
Roman Fluegel - 9 Years
Max Cooper - Sea of Sound (Ambient Rework)

No comments: