10.26.2016

BACK TO MINE - A Three Part, Themed Mixtape


Somewhere back in 2015, I got this idea to riff off of the old Back to Mine DJ mix series concept from about 10-15 years ago and make a post-weekend-coming-down-back-at-the pad kinda mix for my wife on her birthday. Being something of a record obsessive, it had to have a theme, and what better theme for your wife on her birthday than love? That was the theme and I decided to run with it and continue on to make two more themed remixes riffing off the first mix. What comes after love? Sex. And that is what part two is all about. Part two followed relatively quickly on the heels of part one and by 2015, I thought there might still be a mixtape trilogy left in me. But I just wasn't feeling it and 2015 became 2016 and it looked there were only going to be two mixes as I kicked around ideas about that third primal, human experience. Unfortunately, in the middle of all of that floundering came the death of my father earlier this year and that was a pretty sobering life event. On the positive side, it also shook out the final part of my epic trilogy...death. Love, sex, and death...it doesn't get any more primal than that.

I listened to three mixes together for weeks on end to help elevate me through my grief. I found the themes and how they were interwoven through the trio of mixes comforting. Outside of the birthday gift mix for my wife, I sat on these mixes until June, carefully guarding them, and not allowing anyone else to listen to them. I relinquishedmy self-imposed lock upon the mixes, sharing them with my wife and best friend as a sort of Heart of Darkness soundtrack as we found ourselves traveling so far off the beaten path this summer that people were amazed when we stumbled upon them. The back roads turned to dust and disintegrated somewhere on the leeward shoulder of Mt. Solomon on the solstice and in that deep woods catharsis these songs really came to life. In that, I found the strength to finally share the only work that has ever taken me multiple years to finish with the audience I had originally intended it for...the world. As always, enjoy!

PT. 1 - Love
Mixcloud
Tracklisting:
David Bowie - Warszawa
Nick Drake - Northern Sky
Brian Eno - On Some Faraway Beach
Dillard Chandler - I Wish My Baby Was Born
Flying Burrito Brothers - Farther Along
Everly Brothers - Rose Connelly
Paige Anderson & the Fearless Kin - Where Did You Go?
Rolling Stones - No Expectations
Bobby Womack - Ruby Dean
Mavis - What You Looking For feat John Turrell
Thievery Corporation - Wires & Watchtowers feat Sista Pat
Starseeds - Timequakes
From Leaf to Feather - Albeit
Skip Spence - Cripple Creek
Pogues - Dirty Old Town
Merle Travis - Dark as a Dungeon
Hank Williams - Long Gone Lonesome Blues
Peña - Huero Viejo
Davy Graham - Maajun (A Taste of Tangiers)

PT. 2 - Sex
Mixcloud
Tracklisting:
Sade
- Love Is Stronger Than Pride (Mad Professor Remix)
Suba - Tantos Desejos
Chopstick & Johnjon - Pining Moon (Acoustic Version)
Opal - Indian Summer
Plugz - Blue Sofa
Irma Thomas - Wish Someone Would Care
Lisa Shaw - Can You See Him
Bavaria - Never
Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions - Suzanne
Gun Club - Secret Fires
Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions - For the Rest of Your Life
Tracey Thorn - It's All True (Martin Buttrich Remix)
Dance Spirit - Undressed feat Shawni
Nina Simone - Suzanne (Alternative Version)
Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches

PT. 3 - Death
Mixcloud
Tracklisting
Iris DeMent - Let the Mystery Be
Townes Van Zandt - To Live is To Fly
Hank Williams - I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive
X - Come Back To Me
Ice Cube - Dead Homiez
Rolling Stones - You Gotta Move
Robert Johnson - Hellhound on My Trail
Lou Reed - Cremation
Beach Boys - Til I Die
Mazzy Star - Into Dust
Spacemen 3 - Lord Can You Hear Me?
Doors - The End
Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows
Hüsker Dü - Pink Turns to Blue
Gang Starr - In Memory Of...
Sam Cooke - A Change Is Gonna Come
Notorious B.I.G. - You're Nobody (Til Somebody Kills You)

No comments: